Position Announcement SENIOR STAFF SCIENTIST at International CLIVAR Project Office
CLIVAR (www.clivar.org) is a Core Project of the World Climate Research Programme (http://www.wcrp-climate.org) dedicated to understanding the role of the ocean in the variability, predictability and change of climate, to the benefit of society and the environment in which we live. Each of the Core Projects has an International Project Office that acts as an extension of the WCRP Secretariat in Geneva, Switzerland, that has the overall responsibility for all the WCRP Core Projects. The International CLIVAR Project Office (ICPO) serves as the executive arm of the CLIVAR Scientific Steering Group and its panel and working groups. The ICPO is based at the Ocean University of China (OUC), Qingdao, China. The OUC and WCRP invite applications for the position of ICPO Senior Staff Scientist.
Duties and responsibilities of the ICPO Senior Staff Scientist
The ICPO Senior Staff Scientist assists the ICPO Director to ensure that the ICPO provides an effective executive arm for the CLIVAR Scientific Steering Group (SSG), its panels and working groups.
The ICPO Senior Staff Scientist will have the following key responsibilities:
● Serve as secretariat to CLIVAR SSG, panels, and working groups within the remit of the ICPO. This includes, inter alia,
● Assist the Panel and Working Group (WG) chairs in preparations for their meetings and workshops
● Organize, coordinate, and participate in online/in-person Panel/WG meetings and events relevant to CLIVAR
● Provide support to the Panel/WG chairs during and between sessions, including with notetaking
● Compile and edit meeting reports, and other relevant documents
● Facilitate active liaisons across CLIVAR project offices on related activities
● Build and maintain effective established links between the ICPO and the wider climate community
● Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of the relevant fields of research
● Prepare articles and graphical input to CLIVAR, WCRP and other publications and websites
● Create and maintain pertinent, useful, and attractive webpages for CLIVAR activities
● Assist the Director, ICPO as needed.
Qualifications, skills, experience
● Graduate degree in oceanography or other climate-related science;
● At least 3 years of experience in international coordination of scientific research/project management;
● Familiarity with the CLIVAR project is an advantage;
● Excellent written and oral communication skills;
● Proven ability to work efficiently in a team and independently, with cultural diversity awareness;
● Fluency in English, the working language of the ICPO;
● Willingness/ability to work in different time zones on a case-to-case basis, and undertake short international and national travels;
● Strong skill in science communication is desirable;
● Familiarity with virtual meeting platforms and scheduling tools;
● Experience in event organization would be an advantage;
Applications should include: (i) a Curriculum Vitae; (ii) a cover letter explaining your interest in the position and outlining your relevant skills and experience; and (iii) the names and contact details of three individuals who have indicated their readiness to provide a reference.
Applications should be sent via electronic mail to email@example.com.
Address of the ICPO –
International CLIVAR Project Office,
Ocean University of China, 238 Songling Road, Qingdao 266100, P.R. China
This is a readvertised position. The closing date for applications is March 1, 2024.
The ICPO Senior Staff Scientist reports to the Director of the ICPO. The ICPO is hosted by OUC and follows the administrative guidelines and rules of the OUC.
The annual salary of the ICPO Senior Staff Scientist will be in the range of 400,000-450,000 CNY and will take due account of the experience and qualifications of the candidate. A modest relocation allowance is available. All salaries are subject to Chinese income tax. The initial contract of employment will be 2 years, with possible extensions for another 3 years. It is expected that the successful candidate would take up appointment located in Qingdao as soon as possible.
If you wish to discuss this position, please contact the ICPO Director Dr Agus Santoso at firstname.lastname@example.org.