AAMP Terms of Reference
The Panel will, in co-operation with CLIVAR Worging Group on Seasonal to Interannual Prediction and other CLIVAR Panels:
- Evolve a strategy to assess climate variability and predictability of the coupled ocean-atmosphere-land system in the Asian-Australia-Africa monsoon region;
- Design and implement a programme to investigate the mechanisms of ENSO-monsoon interactions;
- Determine a monitoring strategy for the Indian Ocean, Western Pacific and surrounding marginal seas and land regions necessary for investigating the structure and variability of the monsoon;
- Co-ordinate and promote interactions among meteorologists, oceanographers and hydrologists from interested nations;
- Develop an implementation plan for monsoon research in the region, that recognises the need for a well co-ordinated and optimised set of process studies; and
- Work in co-operation with other existing and planned regional and multinational programs directed at improving our understanding of the monsoon system, which include investigations on regional weather forecasting, seasonal climate prediction and impacts on human activities.