Position Announcement STAFF SCIENTIST at International CLIVAR Project Office
CLIVAR (www.clivar.org) is a Core Project of the World Climate Research Programme (http://www.wcrp-climate.org) dedicated to understanding the role of the ocean in the variability, predictability and change of climate and to the benefit of society and the environment in which we live. Each of the Core Projects has an International Project Office that acts as an extension of the WCRP Secretariat in Geneva, Switzerland, that has the overall responsibility for all the WCRP Core Projects. The International CLIVAR Project Office (ICPO) serves as the executive arm of the CLIVAR Scientific Steering Group and its panel and working groups. The ICPO is based at the Ocean University of China (OUC), Qingdao, China. The OUC and WCRP invite applications for the position of ICPO Staff Scientist.
Duties and responsibilities of the ICPO Staff Scientist
The ICPO Staff Scientist provides technical support for the ICPO in executing its activities to ensure that the ICPO provides an effective executive arm for the CLIVAR Scientific Steering Group (SSG), its panels and working groups.
The ICPO Staff Scientist will have the following key responsibilities:
· Serve as secretariat to the ICPO and CLIVAR panels and working groups (WG). This includes, inter alia,
· Ensure day-to-day functionality of the ICPO, providing an efficient first point of contact for enquiries, and distributing information appropriately and promptly
· Assist Panel and WG chairs at meetings and workshops, and preparing meeting minutes
· Organize, coordinate, and participate in online/in-person Panel/WG meetings and events relevant to CLIVAR
· Compile meeting reports and other relevant documents
· Create and maintain webpages for ICPO, CLIVAR Panels and WGs
· Assist in gathering and maintaining up-to-date scientific information
· Assist in disseminating information through various communication channels
· Assist in preparing graphical input to CLIVAR, WCRP and other publications and websites
· Assist the Director and Senior Staff Scientist, ICPO as needed.
· Graduate degree in oceanography or other climate-related science;
· Ability to multitask, work efficiently in a team environment and independently, with cultural diversity awareness;
· Excellent written and oral communication skills;
· Experience in international coordination of scientific research/project management is desirable;
· Experience in event organization would be an advantage;
· Webpage creation, graphical, and multi-media skills;
· Familiarity with virtual meeting platforms and scheduling tools;
· Fluency in English, the working language of the ICPO;
· Willingness/ability to work in different time zones on a case-to-case basis, and undertake short international and national travels.
Applications should include: (i) a Curriculum Vitae; (ii) a cover letter explaining your interest in the position and outlining your relevant skills and experience; and (iii) the names and contact details of two individuals who have indicated their readiness to provide a reference.
Applications should be sent via electronic mail to email@example.com.
Address of the ICPO –
International CLIVAR Project Office,
Ocean University of China, 238 Songling Road, Qingdao 266100, P.R. China
The closing date for applications is March 1, 2024.
The ICPO Staff Scientist reports to the Director of the ICPO. The ICPO is hosted by OUC and follows the administrative guidelines and rules of the OUC.
The annual salary of the ICPO Staff Scientist will be in the range of 300,000-350,000 CNY and will take due account of the experience and qualifications of the candidate. A modest relocation allowance is available. All salaries are subject to Chinese income tax. The initial contract of employment will be 1 year, with possible extensions for another 3 years. It is expected that the successful candidate would take up appointment located in Qingdao as soon as possible.
If you wish to discuss this position, please contact the ICPO Director Dr Agus Santoso at firstname.lastname@example.org.