The CLIVAR/CliC/SCAR Southern Ocean Region Panel (SORP) Telecon in June 2020
The CLIVAR Southern Ocean Region Panel held an online meeting on 10th June. For this third telecom since the last rotation of members in March 2020, the two co-chairs of SORP, Inga Smith and Torge Martin, were joined by panel members Karen Assmann, Sandra Barreira, Tore Hattermann, Robin Robertson, Neil Swart, and Michiyo Yamamoto-Kawai.
Facing limitations due to the COVID-19 pandemic like many others and the subsequent cancellation of the bi-annual in-person meeting planned for August this year, SORP has decided to organize such virtual meetings every month to foster the communication among panel members and between SORP and its partners. Main outcomes of this year’s meetings were so far:
- Rearranging the 14th Session of the Southern Ocean Region Panel, and the WAMC/YOPP-SH/SOOS/ASPeCt joint workshop. SORP will keep in touch with these partners.
- Encouraging members to submit a poster presentation about SORP at any related ocean or atmospheric conference they attend to enhance visibility of the panel.
- The synthesis of SORP national reports (NR, http://www.clivar.org/clivar-panels/southern/national-representatives) has been initiated. The co-chairs are preparing the collection for 2018 National Reports from the SORP National Representatives. An update on the influence of COVID-19 on Southern Ocean fieldwork will be particularly highlighted in the reports.
- SORP hopes to enhance the link with the Ocean Observations Physics and Climate panel (OOPC).
- Because of the recent rotation of members, the panel is considering reorganizing its task teams.
- Participation and co-organization of the GOOS/GCOS/WCRP freshwater transport workshop. A joint SORP/NORP (virtual) meeting is planned alongside this workshop.
- Maintaining a close connection with the Year of Polar Prediction in the Southern Hemisphere (YOPP-SH).
- Panel members will attend the WCRP Task Team on Regional Activities as observers.
- Organizing a synthesis session on Southern Ocean freshening at AGU Fall Meeting 2020 (session 105151)