CLIVAR/CliC/SCAR Southern Ocean Region Panel organized the second telecon in 2021
The second telecon in 2021 of CLIVAR/CliC/SCAR Southern Ocean Region Panel (SORP) was held at 8th April. Main output of the telecon are as follows.
- SORP will continue to have its regular meeting in the following months of this year to keep in touch.
- Information and ideas of the on-planning major SORP meetings in 2021 were exchanged, including the SORP-14, NORP-SORP joint workshop, and the “Fluxes in the sea-ice zone” joint workshop with ASPeCt, WAMC, YOPP-SH, SOOS, and SOFLUX.
- SORP will focus its scientific interests on the three topics:
- Constrain the Southern Ocean’s role in global carbon cycling
- The role of the Southern Ocean in the planet’s heat and freshwater balance
- Ice-ocean interaction, e.g. progression of warm water into ice-shelf cavities
- SORP will set up a Twitter account and a blog webpage to deliver the newest scientific or observational information in the Southern Ocean, and to exchange with national representations.