Announcement for “Wenhai Cup” International Ocean Innovation Competition (WOIC)
“Wenhai Cup” International Ocean Innovation Competition (WOIC)
Qingdao National Laboratory for Marine Science and Technology (QNLM) is pleased to announce that the Wenhai Cup International Ocean Innovation Competition (WOIC) finals will be held in September 2020 for now (to be determined according to what develops with the coronavirus) at QNLM, Qingdao, China. The competition is open to enrolled undergraduate and graduate students. All the participating groups or individuals should submit an innovative project proposal and all the proposals should address aspects of ocean observation and detection, healthy ocean, and ocean development. Participating students are encouraged to put forward interdisciplinary and innovative proposals.
1. Registration Deadline: 31 July 2020-Registration and Submission at http://competition.qnlm.ac/
2. Review stage: August 2020-QNLM staff, WOIC Judging Committee will review the proposals and select 15 undergraduate and 15 postgraduate proposals for the final competition.
3. Finals: September 2020 for now (to be determined according to what develops with the coronavirus)-Final competition and evaluation in Qingdao, China.
Your submission package should contain the following documents. Only qualified package will be forwarded to the Judging Committee.
1. Project proposal
Project proposal should focus its theme on ONLY one topic selected from ocean observation and detection, healthy ocean, and marine development. It should be 3-4 pages in length and contain Purpose, Solutions, and Reference. The document can be text or with supporting graphics.
2. CV of team supervisor
3. Introduction video
Introduction video should be within 5 minutes, including one-minute to introduce all team-members and project description for 3-4 minutes. Each team member should make a speech in the video which may contain animations, PPT slides, material displays to present extra information of the project.
4. A signed Team Information and Verification
The Competition is open to undergraduate (Group A) and postgraduate (Group B) students in ocean-related majors. All the participants should not graduate prior to the end of the competition.
2. The Judging Committee will focus on:
(1) If the project contains original and innovative idea; if the research purpose is fulfilled; if the topic is relevant to the three aspects of the Competition, and if the project proposal is well-written.
(2) Teamwork spirit and equal contribution of all team members
(3) Effective communication with the team supervisor
3. Students are required to consult with a senior research professional who will work as the team supervisor. Member of Judging Committee is not allowed to supervise any student team.
4. Each team should have no more than three students. No team can submit more than one Package. Team leader is the First Author and Presenter of the project proposal. No new member is allowed to join in the team after registration.
5. Graduation/curriculum design (thesis), academic papers/dissertations, awarded projects in the other competitions will not be considered.
6. Universities/Research institutions organizing the participation of their students in the event are eligible to compete for Excellent Organization Award. We do not limit number of teams coming from the same university/research institution.
7. Each submitted projects shall not infringe any legal rights or interests of the third-party. All the rights of the awarded project works shall be transferred to the Organizers of the Competition.
8. Organizers of the competition do not take legal responsibility for any loss or damage that results from the Competition. All the participants must be responsible for their IPR protection.
10. Language：Chinese Mandarin and English
1. Gold Award: 60,000 RMB (no more than 1 team each group)
Team Supervisor: 10,000 RMB
Travel stipends to send the whole winning team to QNLM in China or International Laboratory for High-Resolution Earth System Prediction (iHESP) in the United States or the Centre for Southern Hemisphere Oceans Research (CSHOR) in Australia for one-month internship under the supervision of local professor in marine sciences. Organizers of the Competition will reimburse the round-trip flights (economy class) and local accommodations.
2. Silver Award: 30,000 RMB (no more than 2 teams from each group)
Team Supervisor: 8,000 RMB
Travel stipends to send the whole winning team to QNLM in China for two-week internship under the supervision of local professor in marine sciences. Organizers of the Competition will reimburse the round-trip flights (economy class) and local accommodations.
3. Bronze Award: 10,000 RMB (no more than 5 teams from each group)
Team Supervisor: 5,000 RMB
4. Encouragement Award: 2,000 RMB (no more than 7 teams from each group)
Team Supervisor: 1,000 RMB
5. Excellent Organization Award: 20,000 RMB
Note: All the cash awards are before tax.
For more information, please refer to: http://competition.qnlm.ac/