1. To be responsible to the CLIVAR SSG for the formation of a detailed scientific plan and conceptual design of an international project to investigate the variability and predictability of the American monsoon system (VAMOS) in the context of global climate variability and predictability.
2. To develop an implementation plan for a VAMOS project for consideration by the CLIVAR SSG.
3. To coordinate and promote interactions amongst meteorologists, oceanographers and hydrologists from interested nations to work on VAMOS problems.
4. To oversee the implementation of a VAMOS project.
5. To advise the CLIVAR numerical experimentation groups on modelling investigations which need to be carried out to meet VAMOS objectives.
6. To work closely and coordinate with other national, regional and international projects and organizations interested in this area of research, eg. the Inter-American Institute for Global Change Research (IAI), the International Research Institute for Climate and Society (IRI), PACS, GEWEX and START.