Africa Terms of Reference
- Develop and refine a VACS implementation plan, based on the work of the CAWG (CLIVAR Africa Working Group) and CATT, to diagnose the variability and predictability of African climate and its relationship to the global climate system. This plan should take into account the objectives listed below in points 2-9.
- Prepare requirements for limited-period and sustained observations in support of the CLIVAR Programme in and around the African continent; establish links with, and present the requirements to, the other major climate-observing programs (e.g. GCOS, WWW, GOOS, etc).
- Promote and coordinate efforts for evaluations and improvements of model simulations (e.g., AMIP, CMIP, IPCC, etc.) for the African region.
- Promote development of African climate databases and foster access thereto for research purposes in cooperation with projects such as CLICOM, DARE, INFOCLIMA, etc.
- Promote the involvement of African scientists within VACS and the use of VACS products in capacity building activities.
- Develop cooperative investigations with other CLIVAR groups and national, regional or international research programs and organizations interested in this area of research.
- Develop links with programs and organizations interested in the application of VACS research (e.g. CLIPS, and START) and, as far as feasible, integrate requirements of these programs and organizations into VACS.
- Execute the VACS implementation plan and measure the success of the plan against stated objectives.
- Report to the CLIVAR SSG as required on progress and problems in developing and implementing the VACS plan.