SOOS/WCRP/ESA workshop on Southern Ocean air-sea fluxes
The SOOS/WCRP/ESA workshop on Southern Ocean air-sea fluxes to be held in Frascati, Italy, 21-23 September, 2015. The workshop will have both poster and oral presentations, and is open to interested participants.
The workshop is motivated by a goal to improve air-sea flux estimates in the Southern Ocean and Antarctic marginal seas, though the issues addressed in the workshop will also have a global reach. We anticipate a 5-part agenda:
1. Science applications for air-sea flux estimates.
2. A brief review of challenges associated with existing flux products
3. New opportunities that will enable forward progress (including in situ observations, remote sensing, assimilation/modeling).
4. Workshop outcome #1: Defining requirements for essential climate variables and essential ocean variables for air-sea exchange.
5. Workshop outcome #2: Planning for a pilot observing system
Details about the workshop, including a registration form and abstract submission form, are posted on the SOOS web site:
We ask (if possible) to have abstracts before June 30th. There is no registration fee for the workshop, but note that lunches and the conference dinner will be organized on a "no-host" basis. Participants are responsible for their own travel and hotel arrangements; please see the web site for a hotel and taxi booking form.
We have a limited amount of travel funding available, intended primarily for early career scientists or investigators from developing countries. We encourage participants if possible to seek other sources of funding to support their participation. If a travel grant would make a difference, please request it when you submit your abstract.