CLIVAR/CliC/SCAR Southern Ocean Region Panel
Members of the CLIVAR/CliC/SCAR panel at their 9th session - 14-15 July 2014, The Hague, The Netherlands
The Southern Ocean Panel is cosponsored by the Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research (SCAR), and the World Climate Research Programme's Climate and Cryosphere (CliC) and Climate and Ocean: Variability, Predictability and Change (CLIVAR) programmes.
Terms of Reference
The Terms of Reference of the CLIVAR/CliC/SCAR Southern Ocean Panel are:
- Design a strategy to assess climate variability and predictability of the coupled ocean-atmosphere-ice system in the Southern Ocean region.
- Engage and interact with the Southern Ocean Observing System (SOOS) programme on Southern Ocean sustained observations and model experiments needed to meet the objectives of CLIVAR, CliC, SOOS and SCAR.
- Work in concert with relevant CLIVAR panels (e.g. regional panels, numerical experimentation groups), ACSYS/CliC Panels (DMIP, OPP, NEG) and other groups (e.g. Ocean Observation Panel for Climate, Argo Science Team) to integrate Southern Ocean observations with those in neighboring regions to ensure the objectives of CLIVAR/CliC/SCAR are met and resources are used efficiently.
- Enhance interaction between the meteorology, oceanography, cryosphere, biogeochemistry and paleoclimate communities with an interest in the climate variability of the Southern Ocean region.
- Serve as a forum for the discussion and communication of scientific advances in the understanding of climate variability and change in the Southern Ocean region.
- Work with the CLIVAR, CliC, SCAR, SOOS and WCRP Data Council data systems on issues related to distribution and archiving of Southern Ocean observations.
- Advise the CLIVAR, CliC, SOOS and SCAR SSGs on progress achieved towards implementation.
There are currently no news items for this section.
Publications and Documents
Southern Panel Members
|Matthew England||Co-Chair||2014||University of New South Wales||Australia|
|Lynne Talley||Co-Chair||2015||Scripps Institution of Oceanography||USA|
|Teresa Chereskin||Member||2014||Scripps Institution of Oceanography||USA|
|Hartmut Hellmer||Member||2014||Alfred Wegener Institute||Germany|
|Nicole Lovenduski||Member||2014||University of Colorado||USA|
|Alberto Naveira Garabato||Member||2015||National Oceanography Centre||UK|
|Alex Orsi||Member||2014||Texas A&M University||USA|
|Isabelle Ansorge||Member||2016||University of Cape Town||South Africa|
|John Fyfe||Member||2016||Environment Canada||Canada|
|Alberto Piola||Member||2016||Servicio de Hidrografia Naval||Argentina|
|Joellen Russell||Member||2016||University of Arizona||USA|
|Jiuxin Shi||Member||2016||Ocean University of China||China|