Atlantic Region Panel
Modes of Climate Variability in the Atlantic Sector. The figure on the right shows the path and strength of winter storms depending on the sign of the NAO; the location of tropical rainfal (determined by the ITCZ); and the transport of the ocean currents (MOC). Blue arrows:cold, deep currents; red arrows:warm surface currents (source: M. Visbeck, 2002; Science 297, 2223-2224)
Terms of Reference
1. To recommend and oversee the implementation of observations in the Atlantic Ocean sector and of research on Atlantic climate variability and predictability, in order to meet the objectives outlined in CLIVARs Science and Initial Implementation Plans, particularly with respect to the Principal Research Areas D1 (NAO), D2 (TAV), D3 (THC), and anthropogenic climate change.
2. To collaborate with JSC/CLIVAR WGCM, WGOMD, and WGSIP in order to contribute to the design of appropriate numerical experiments and to jointly define and implement the requirements for data sets needed to validate and initialize models.
3. To liaise with relevant CLIVARs panels, in particular the Arctic Climate Panel, the Southern Ocean Panel, and the VAMOS and VACS panels to ensure that best use is made of resources from regional research programs.
4. To liaise with GSOP, OOPC, PIRATA, ARGO, and the IOC-CO2 panel to ensure that CLIVAR benefits from and contributes to GEOSS.
5. To liaise with relevant interdisciplinary SCOR-IGBP groups such as PAGES, GLOBEC, IMBER, and SOLAS and with regional Atlantic marine ecosystem research programs such as BCLME and GCLME to ensure that CLIVAR benefits from and provides input to these programs.
6. To respond to needs from stakeholders and facilitate the transfer of knowledge from science to operations and applications with respect to Atlantic climate variability and predictability issues.
7. To report to the CLIVAR SSG.
There are currently no news items for this section.
Publications and Documents
Atlantic Panel Members
|Ping Chang||Co-Chair||2016||Texas A&M University College Station||USA|
|Tom Farrar||Member||2015||Woods Hole Oceanography Institution||USA|
|Mathieu Rouault||Member||2015||University of Cape Town||South Africa|
|Anne-Marie Treguier||Member||2014||LPO IFREMER Plouzane||France|
|Moacyr Araujo||Member||2016||Universidade Federal de Pernambuco||Brazil|
|Young-Oh Kwon||Member||2016||Woods Hole Oceanography Institution||USA|
|Gary Mitchum||Member||2016||University of South Florida||USA|
|Sabrina Speich||Member||2016||Laboratoire de Physique des Océans, Brest & Laboratoire of Météorologie Dynamique, Paris||France|
|Walter Robinson||Member||2016||North Carolina State University||US|