First Mares Conference: Marine Ecosystems Health and Conservation
First Mares Conference
Marine Ecosystems Health and Conservation
17-21 November 2014, Olhão, Portugal
Registration and Call for Abstracts are open !
The first Mares Conference will be held in Olhão, Portugal, from November 17th to 21st, 2014. This international and open conference will bring together scientists from different levels and disciplines to discuss and address main issues about marine ecosystems health and conservation.
Six themes will be developed through the conference, and for each one a keynote speaker has been invited:
1. Future Oceans : temperature changes - hypoxia – acidification: Sam Dupont
2. Understanding biodiversity effects on the functioning of marine ecosystems : Lisa Levin
3. Biological invasions: Gregory M. Ruiz
4. Natural Resources : overexploitation, fisheries and aquaculture: Rainer Froese
5. Ocean noise pollution: Peter L. Tyack
6. Habitat loss, urban development, coastal infrastructures and Marine Spatial Planning: Michael W. Beck
The conference will be dynamic, innovative and participative, mixing oral presentations, round table discussions, and posters / digital objects sessions. Scientific and social programme are detailed here: http://www.maresconference.eu/programme. Marine mammal-related content are foreseen in scientific sessions such as “Natural Resources” or “Ocean Noise Pollution”.
We invite all participants to write and submit one or more abstract(s). Guidelines and submission forms are available here: http://www.maresconference.eu/callforabstracts.
Deadline for abstract submission is set on Sunday 1 June 2014.
Early bird Registrations are open: http://www.maresconference.eu/geristrationform. The early bird registration deadline, with reduced rates, is 15 August 2014.
Further information can be found on the website : www.maresconference.eu
For any questions or suggestions, please contact:
MARES Conference Coordination Office
Marine Biology Research Group
B-9000 Ghent , Belgium